Wednesday, September 28, 2011

People Like Us & Center for Working-Class Studies


The People Like Us site is cool.  I like the games, but I couldn’t seem to be able to find “The Video” to watch it.  According to a lot of my answers on the games I’m “trailer trash” lol who knew?  They’re fun but of course you can’t possibly determine someone’s class based on their answer to a single question.  That’s just silly…but fun like I said.  They talk a lot about how class is a big factor in the U.S. and also how it can and does influence discrimination. 

The Center for Working-Class Studies site is a University site out of Ohio.  The first thing I saw when I went on this site was the unemployment rate (I assume in Ohio).  It is currently very high at 26.37%.  I would be interesting in knowing what percentage of that number is female and what percentage is male, but they don’t give that information.  They also discuss how blue-collar jobs seem to be disappearing, and more and more Americans are being considered working class every day.  Then they discuss the factors considered in determining class.  “At the CWCS, we see class as based on a combination of factors -- what kind of work people do, how much they earn, their social and economic power, their education, lifestyle, and culture.  We also recognize that class is closely related to race, gender, religion, and other social categories.”

I agree with The Center for Working-Class Studies.  There are many factors that are including in determining class.  I believe gender is one of them and that is one big reason why economic inequity is a feminist issue.  There is a lot of economic inequity towards lower class Americans.  If feminism lowers your class, then it becomes a major feminist issue. 

And Wikipedia agrees as well:

2 comments:

  1. I think that the games were possibly meant to show people that it is foolish and trivial to classify people into a class based on what they like.
    As to your comment about feminism being a possible way to lower one's class I have to say that I did not initially consider that... very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on the games...that makes a lot of sense. And as for feminism lowering one's class, I thought it might be a little far-fetched myself but it also lists it on the WIKIPEDIA page I linked to (and looks like you did too). But if you think about other countries not just our own I could definitely see it being a huge factor.

    ReplyDelete