Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Oppression by Marilyn Frye

This lady is very convinced of what she believes.  However, I think she's being a little over the top, even ridiculous.  I actually laughed at this article because it starts out OK, she's very mouthy, but OK.  She talks about women getting blamed for being raped...because if the woman is NOT sexually active then that means she wants it...what?!?  I've honestly never heard of that.  Then she goes on to complain that men are opening doors for women.  I personally have nothing wrong with that and I hold doors for people too!  It's impossible for a man to hold a door open for a woman just to be nice?  I don't know if Frye feels so strongly and says what she says because of the time she lived in or if she's just ridiculous, but I thought the ideas in this article were ridiculous...

I will mention this in class and specifically the "door opening" issue.  I will use myself as an example, because I personally hold doors open a lot.  I never realized it was just because I was mocking the person I'm holding it for haha.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oppression

2 comments:

  1. This will be interesting to talk about in class... what is her main point? You focus on some of the details but what is the major issue she is trying to raise?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. i think she is being over dramatic with her statement. OKay, she may believe some women want to have sex or do things to get raped, but I'm pretty certain not all women are like that and she just kind of categorized all women being like that.

    ReplyDelete